I'm going to be writing this in shifts so please be patient with me... I am also typing with one hand so I can hold Eli with the other...
It all started on May 5, Cinco de Mayo. We were getting ready to go to an Augusta GreenJackets baseball game. I sat down at the computer to get directions and saw that I had an unread email. The message started out like this,"Hi! My name is Shelby Patat, im 17 and im 34 weeks pregnant with a boy i want to adopt..." My heart skipped a beat and I began to tear up. I called to Craig to come quickly. I pointed to the email and asked him to read it. When he finished reading he looked at me. I asked him what we should do. She had left a phone number so I decided to call her right then. Her fiance picked up the phone and the handed it to Shelby. I felt tongue tied when I talked to her. I was so excited about the prospect of meeting the mother of our child. I wanted to make a good impression on her. I gave her the phone number of our case worker and told her we'd work out a date to meet. Not more than 5 minutes later my case worker called and said that Shelby wanted to meet me that weekend. While at the game Shelby and I texted back and forth. She asked what Craig and I wanted to name the baby. We quickly decided on Eli. Shelby agreed. Craig was working that weekend so I drove to Atlanta on my own. We met on Mother's day at a teen hangout called "The Seven Venue". We hit it off right away. There was no doubt in my mind that Heavenly Father had brought us together. I found Shelby to be beautiful on both the inside and outside. I loved her blue eyes. She had such a Christ like air about her. So focused on others and how to better their lives. She wanted to give her son a better life then she could provide and had been searching for a family to care for him. We were a match made in Heaven. She resolved all my fears about adoption such as, "Who would want to place a baby with a family that already has kids?" I had felt prompted by the Holy Ghost that there was someone out there who would. Here she was, excited that her son would have instant siblings. We spent the next 6 weeks getting to know each other better. I was able to go to the Dr. with Shelby and see an ultrasound of Eli. We had meals together and Shelby took me all around the town she grew up in. I went to her school, her home and met her friends. It was a real treat to have her fiance, Chris along for the ride as well. He is so supportive of Shelby. So, that's Part 1 in a nut shell. Please post questions and I'll answer. I'm not sure if Eli's birth parents want pictures of themselves on this blog so I will leave those pictures out for now.
Okay Leen, I need part 2!
ReplyDeleteSo, that made me tear up! Thanks! I was in a very very similar situation as a teenager. I wanted so badly to give my boy a better life and put him up for adoption. As you know, I didnt and everything has worked out, but I admire Shelby so very much and I agree with everything you wrote. It was all to work out this way, I am just so happy she chose to give her baby the best life at this time! Congrats to you and your family! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteOH MY GOSH! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! this is seriously THE most exciting news for your family! I am soooo happy for you! Enjoy him!
ReplyDeleteCraig and Kathleen, congratulations! I enjoyed reading your blog about Eli and his selfless mom. What a beautiful gift to receive, and what a beautiful family to receive it! I was adopted by a wonderful and loving family when I was 3 years old. I knew who my birth mother was(she lived in the town next to my new family). My birth mom asked me just last year if I resented her for giving me up. How could I? I had the best childhood and my adoptive mom had prayed and prayed for a little girl (she couldn't have children). Sorry for the long story. Long story short...so glad your prayers were answered. Hope to see you and your lovely family one of these days since you're going to be Marylanders again. We're still on Climbing Ivy. Smiles--Mary
ReplyDelete