 |
| Chris, Shelby and Eli at the paternity test. |
 |
| Taylor holding Eli for the first time. |
So, the day of the paternity test I was all stressed out. I drove crazy and cried a ton. I kept thinking like a mama bear trying to protect my cub. I picked up Shelby and Chris and we headed to "All Labs" where the test was to take place. We got there early so that if a fist fight needed to break out with the potential birth grandmother, then we would have the advantage. No one said much while we waited. All I could think about was that I would do anything to protect my baby. If it meant hurting someone who was trying to take him away from Shelby or I then I was willing to do it at all cost. Then a car pulled up and two people got out. A woman, Dora, who had been Shelby's bus driver as a child and a blonde male, Taylor (The potential birth father.) Dora came and spoke with us and explained that she would be driving Taylor around and that she had already talked to him about being polite. Taylor's mother, the potential birth grandmother was no where to be seen. Dora assured us that she would not be coming around. I felt super relieved but still on guard. The "All Labs" lab technician was having car trouble and was going to be late so we went to another location. Once there we were able to get started almost immediately. My case worker, Jenni was there to guide me as to what I needed to do there. My job was pretty much just to keep Eli safe and happy. Shelby, Taylor and Eli had to be in a picture together which was a little uncomfortable. Then Eli and Shelby gave saliva samples and Taylor gave whatever sample they needed from him. From the very beginning Taylor promised that he had no intentions of trying to keep Eli, he just wanted to know if Eli was his child. Holding true to his word, Taylor signed the relinquishment papers at a Fed-Ex store in the same shopping center as the lab soon after the testing was completed. We all went to a chinese buffet to celebrate. It was there that Taylor held Eli for the first time. It was sweet to see. I felt so grateful to Taylor for not fouling up the plans. I felt so grateful to my Father in Heaven for answering my prayers and allowing the process to go smoothly. Upon leaving I gave Taylor a hug and thanked him for our baby.
After that long morning it was time to blow off some steam at the mall. We picked up Shelby's sister and her baby Hailey and headed out to shop. We bought matching cousin outfits and had the babies pictures taken at kiddie candid. It was so cute to see them together. They look so much alike.
 |
| Shelby holding Eli, Savannah holding Hailey. |
 |
| Eli and Hailey |
By the end of the day I was so exhausted. I kept making wrong turns on the way home. My sister Katelyn had been with me for moral support and had endured the long day with me. I am so glad she was there.
We got over one more hurdle on our way to adopting our sweet baby boy. Two weeks later the paternity test results were in verifying Taylor as the birth father.
 |
| Bun-jee cords and a roof rack. |
 |
| Peace and Quiet! And did I mention a neck ache? |
 |
| I had to stop on the side of the road during a traffic jam to change a diaper. The traffic picked up and blew my hair all around as I was getting back in. Funny!!! |
I made my was to Maryland to join Craig and the big kids. My sister Katelyn was there to help me with the 2 day drive. What a doll. We rented a car and packed it to the hilt!
God has led us through this whole process. Having Eli in our family is nothing short of a miracle. We are supposed to finalize the adoption next month. Although, the judge made a last minute call to have us complete another FBI background check. I am grateful that she is looking out for the safety of kids being placed with adoptive families yet I which we would have had more notice. The background check can take up to 12 weeks and we have less then 5 before we are supposed to be in court. I know we have done all we can do. I know that Heavenly Father will provide a way for this to happen. Our family would appreciate your continued prayers!
 |
| Eli, all ready for church last Sunday. |
No comments:
Post a Comment